Changes to Continuing Education Rules for Licensed Architects in Ohio
As the 17 licensed Architects at M+A are discerning the new changes to the Continuing Education rules for Architects licensed in Ohio, we thought we might also spread the word. The new rules are effective in Ohio as of January 1, 2012. The changes have been made to try to simplify compliance for Architects and make regulations uniform across most states. Major changes to take note of include:
- The fulfillment of Continuing Education will take place on a calendar year basis, rather than the two year renewal period and instead of completing 24 hours over two years, architects will now need to complete 12 hours of all HSW structured continuing education every calendar year.
- All 12 hours must be Health, Safety and Welfare (HSW) hours. You will find that many practice-related courses still qualify for HSW hours, including codes, zoning, ethics, insurance to protect owners and the public, documents and construction administration.
- Self-reported activities, such as teaching, publishing, and professional service to the community are no longer eligible for continuing education credit. In addition, the AIA no longer recognizes self-reported activities.
- The Ohio board recognizes courses and programs related to the built environment and offered by providers pre-approved by NCARB, the AIA, universities and many other organizations, including the State Architects Office and the Ohio Board of Building Standards.
- As with the previous policy, there is no carry-over of credits from year to year. Architects are responsible for keeping accurate records, including certificates of completion or transcripts from professional associations.
The Ohio Architects Board will, as always, continue to conduct random compliance audits. CE logs submitted without certificates of completion or AIA transcripts will not be accepted s make sure you obtain completion certificates and AIA transcripts for all courses and seminars you complete.
If you have any questions on the updated CE requirements, contact Amy M. Kobe, CAE, Hon AIA, the Executive Director at the Ohio Architects Board at Amy.Kobe@arla.state.oh.us or (614) 466-2316. For more information go to their website at www.arc.ohio.gov.
by Suzanne Cody
Associate, Marketing Manager
Suzanne is an expert in the marketing and architectural field and leaves everyone she works with in a better mood. In her spare time, she enjoys spending time with her kids and eating at Cameron Mitchell restaurants.