Mixed-Use Infill Redevelopment Coming to Lane Avenue
M+A Architects is currently finishing up drawings now for 1600 Lane Avenue, a 250,000 SF mixed-use infill redevelopment located in the heart of the specialty retail and restaurant district in Upper Arlington, Ohio. The project site is located across the street from the Shops on Lane Avenue, an upscale lifestyle center that is home to many fashion and lifestyle merchants including Chico's, Talbots, White House/Black Market, Ann Taylor Loft, New York & Co., Pier 1 Imports, Coldwater Creek, Bed Bath & Beyond and Whole Foods.
The new 3.5 acre project includes the following components geared toward the area's residents, businesses, and the nearby Ohio State University faculty, students, and visitors:
- Retail / Restaurant - 13,000 square feet of ground floor retail/restaurant fronting Lane Avenue
- Office - 13,000 square feet of second floor office space fronting Lane Avenue with views of the Ohio State University campus and downtown Columbus
- Residential - 108 unit luxury apartments targeted at affluent young professionals, graduate students and empty nesters
- Hospitality - An 118 key hotel
- Parking Structure - A 2-1/2 level, 300 space parking structure that also serves as the podium for the apartment project
We are excited to have the opportunity to leverage our firm's extensive mixed use and podium design experience to add significant value to the project. Urban infill and mixed use projects have become more popular in recent years and our firm has hundreds of thousands of square feet and over 1,000 residential units of this type already constructed with many more on the boards. Infill and mixed use projects can be extremely complicated from building code and design standpoints because they involve a blending of retail, restaurant, office, residential and parking uses under one roof. Infill sites are also further complicated by existing conditions including easements, containments, and rigorous zoning regulations. Our great staff including M+A partner and master plans examiner Jim Mitchell are experienced at navigating these waters and bringing projects such as this one to successful completion.
Look for this exciting project to open in the summer of 2012!
by DON BROGAN
Don is the director of M+A's mixed-use and residential studio. He has over 30 years of experience in the architectural and construction field, and his favorite hobby is scuba diving.